Applications of Infrared Detectors
A pyroelectric detector with its high long-term stability can be used for accurate measurements of infrared radiation. As a thermal detector, it possesses (unlike semiconductor detectors) a very broad spectral sensitivity from 100 nm to about 1,000 µm and requires no cooling. Pyroelectric detectors are powerful thermal infrared detectors that can measure signals up to the kilohertz range. Short pulses can be detected up to a few microseconds.
The most common use of pyroelectric detectors is for motion detection. Inexpensive pyroelectric ceramic sensors generally suffice for this purpose. Other applications include the non-dispersive infrared gas analysis (NDIR gas analysis) and infrared flame sensing and monitoring. In these areas, mainly high-quality, single-crystal lithium tantalate (LiTaO3) is used as a pyroelectric material. This also gives a long-term stable performance for the large signal-to-noise ratio.
The use of pyroelectric detectors for spectroscopy or radiometry is also possible.
- NDIR gas analysis in medical technology, measurement of anesthetic gases, capnography, breath alcohol testing
- NDIR gas analysis in safety technology for industry and mining
- NDIR gas analysis for process monitoring
- Flame sensing and monitoring
- Contactless temperature measurement
- Measurement of radiation strength from deep ultraviolet to the far infrared radiation in the terahertz range
See for yourself the possibilities that InfraTec offers with its powerful, highly stable and high quality pyroelectric infrared detectors for your application.